For 165 years, Tadich Grill has been a San Francisco tradition. Founded as a coffee stand during the California Gold Rush of 1849 by Croatian immigrants, it is the oldest restaurant in continuous operation in the state of California, and the third oldest in continuous operation in the United States, behind Boston’s Union Oyster House (1826) and New Orleans’ Antoine’s (1840).
In 1913 the Buich brothers from Dubrovnik, Croatia, came to work for John Tadich. Later, in 1929 Mr. Tadich sold his interest to them. Today, Michael Buich, the third generation of the Buich family owns and operates the world-famous restaurant.
Although Tadich Grill has a reputation as The City’s best seafood house, locals are just as apt to order a mesquite broiled prime cut of steak, lamb chops, pork chops or chicken from a daily-printed menu containing over seventy-five entrees.
Seafood favorites include Seafood Cioppino, Dungeness Crab Legs Saute, Pan-Fried Sand Dabs, Dungeness Crab Cakes, Pan-Seared Ahi Tuna, Mesquite Broiled Swordfish, and a variety of fresh local seafood as well as seafood flown in daily from all oceans of the world.
At Tadich Grill the food is prepared and served in the traditional style, which was brought to San Francisco from the Dalmatian Coast of Europe in the 1800’s. The highest levels of culinary excellence are adhered to, in order to deliver freshness and quality to its guests at a fair price; and the portions are always plenty.